Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Nail Lady's Eulogy.


Today, I went to a funeral.  Not my most favorite thing to do on a Saturday afternoon, but I have learned over the years that if you pay attention you can get some great life lessons from funerals.  This was a “happy” funeral in that the deceased lived a full life, was loved by many and professed Christ as her savior so we know where she is now.

Elizabeth could be and was described as a force of nature.  She was a small woman that never went unnoticed.  Her boss, my husband, has described her as a Diva, which is fitting since she once was invited to sing for San Francisco Opera.  But the thing that amazed me most was her nail lady showed up.   That’s right…her nail lady!  Nail lady, Debbie, stood up and shared, in very broken English, how Elizabeth had touched her life and the lives of her other customers.

Who of you can say that your nail lady, the guy who cuts your hair, or your mailman, would come to your funeral let alone speak at it?  Mine wouldn’t.  I’ll admit that sometimes I act like I cannot fit one more person into my life unless someone dies and makes room.

I believe that Elizabeth’s gregarious way of approaching life is a gift that I don’t have, but I really think I could learn to be more like her.  It might take a while but I am certain that with a lot of practice I could do it.  It just so happens that it is almost sandal season and I could use a pedicure or ten.

1 comment:

  1. Right on, Sue! My life gets so frantic, I know that I must miss meeting angels along the way, and I certainly neglect being one to others.
    Thanks, Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete