Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The cure for nagging.


I used to be a nag.  It wasn’t my fault.  Son #1 made me do it.  There was no amount of grounding or punishing to get him to do what I wanted him to do, so I nagged.  I know the logic seems weak, but if you are a mother of a strong willed child and codependent, you know what I mean.  Nagging is the only answer.

My Celebrate Recovery group didn’t share the same opinion about my nagging.  They seemed to think it might actually be MY issue.  They obviously did not know Son #1.  Our leader suggested imposing a consequence on ourselves for unwanted behavior.  Hers was no Starbucks for a week.  I was going to have to give this some serious thought.  What in the world could I restrict myself from?  I could not think of a thing…until I opened my closet. There, standing at attention in front of me, was my answer.  Shoes!

When my inevitable slip occurred I was not to buy new shoes for one month. I have to admit this did not seem too hard.  I buy a lot of shoes, but a one-month restriction seemed a bit soft even to me…until the unthinkable happened.

I left to visit my parents and I forgot my shoes. Some people stick a couple of pairs of shoes in their suitcase when they travel.  I have a whole bag for the shoes.   This trip I forgot the shoe bag.  First, I told myself that I could buy new ones because the restriction was not meant to be enforced during emergencies.   I had a party to go to; if that wasn’t an emergency, what was!  But after feeling a little convicted about my frivolous definition of “emergency” I concluded I could not go buy shoes.  I borrowed a very nice, sensible pair of pumps from my mom.  I don’t think they could be considered “old lady” shoes, but nobody was going to be having back problems in those shoes that’s for sure.   I got the point.  I would not need to be reprimanded for this behavior again.

As much as I wanted to pretend my nagging was someone else’s fault and blame him for it.  I was completely responsible.  No one was making me do it and I needed a spanking.  I am thankful for all the “spankings” that God has given me but I’d rather do it myself before it gets that serious.  If a few less shopping trips is all it takes, I say bring on the old lady pumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment