Thursday, April 14, 2011

It is never a good idea...until it is.


While chatting with a few homeschooling colleagues today at work, I was reminded of how absolute homeschoolers can be.  It is ok that I say this because I once was a homeschooler.  I know what you're thinking and you are right!  A homeschooler AND codependent…a very deadly combination.  I’ll get back to that another time.

This specific conversation was about technology and progress.  The questions thrown out for discussion were: is there good in it and if so, is the good worth the unintended consequences?  An absolute “NO” was the resounding opinion.  It made me chuckle considering the recent turn of events at my house.

There was a time, when my boys were young, that we had almost no TV channels.  We were taking some kind of moral stand against cable.  I would proudly announce, every chance I got that WE had no cable.  I am pretty sure I said it with a voice and facial expression that communicated clearly that I thought I was all that and a bag of chips. Eventually the Summer Olympics rolled around and we told ourselves we would subscribe to cable just for the month and then no one ever bothered to cancel it. 

I have also been an emphatic non-believer of TV in the bedroom.  I deemed it isolating and was sure no good could come of it, THE END…until this week.   It became clear that my son, his wife and their adorable baby daughter would be staying with us longer than first anticipated and the baby needed to be in her own room now.  My husband graciously gave up his office and therefore his personal sanctuary and retreat.  This sacrifice that he was making made my brain shift into overdrive.   EUREKA!  I had it!  The biggest flat screen TV possible in the bedroom was the answer.  During a romantic birthday dinner last weekend, I told him of my fabulous plan.  He was dumfounded.  A cautious smile started to appear on his lips.  He was obviously nervous to get too excited in case this was one of my snarky jokes.   As the realization that I was not joking came over him he became giddy.   Yep, he agreed.  My plan was brilliant and I was the best wife EVER.

After consulting with the techie son and doing some research, the right TV was decided upon.  A date with same son last night to purchased said TV resulted in two grown men acting like five year olds with new Lego sets.   I now have a TV spanning the length of my dresser in my bedroom. There is no room to put anything other than the TV on the dresser, it covers the whole mirror and I am the best wife in the world.   Will it be isolating? Heck yeah!  We need a little isolation in this 1200 square foot house with 4 adults, a baby and a Yorkie.  Will good come of it?  I’m thinking yes...I’ll let you know ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment