Monday, May 30, 2011

I Am A Military Mom


I cannot remember a time when old war movies were not the favorite at our house.  If it was about war or if it starred John Wayne, it had to be watched no matter how many times we had seen it before.  If it was about war AND John Wayne was in it, we MUST own it.  Soon costumes were included and the local army surplus store became a favorite place to spend allowance and birthday money.  I started to think that maybe all these black and white, bloodless movies might be giving the wrong impression.  I decided that what my sons needed was a big dose of reality.  I knew just the ticket.  At some ridiculously young age we took them to see Saving Private Ryan.  I knew this would sober them up and they would now think of war in a much more serious way and not be so enamored by it.  Nope. 

As they grew up and Little League was replaced by competitive debate, their interest in war expanded to public policy, both domestic and foreign, and a new interest was sparked.  Civic duty.  It started to seem like their interest was not a mere interest but a calling.  Joseph started working hard in school to be able to receive an appointment to the US Naval Academy and Andrew, compelled by the loss of a childhood friend killed in Iraq, enlisted in the Marines.

In the fall of 2005, we sent both boys off to get ready for their life in the military.  We dropped Joseph off at a prep school to further his chances at an Academy appointment and we put Andrew on a bus headed to San Diego for Marine basic training.  My life has not been the same since.  I was pushed into the deep end of a culture I knew nothing about. I learned quickly.  I went from constant communication and contact with my boys to nothing. Nada. Zilch.  The military does not care that you miss them.  The military does not care you sleep with your phone in case they call.  The military does not care that you missed the call and so does not give them another chance to call.  The military cares about one thing.  They care about preparing them so they can do a job and hopefully stay alive doing it.  It did not take long before this was the only thing I cared about also.

December 2005 we went to pick up our boys, but men had replaced them.  Joseph now had experiences he needed to enter the Academy and be able to make it through the next four rigorous years.  Andrew stood lean, erect, and proud to have made it through the toughest boot camp of the US armed forces and was ready to join a special Marine unit call FAST Company.  They were ready and so was I.

Moms often say to me, “Oh, I couldn’t do it!”  The fact is I didn’t have a choice.  I went from homeschool mom, who was with them 24/7, to military mom over night.  Their calling had to became mine, their duty had to became mine, but their honor and pride became mine also.  There are no words that can express the honor I feel in being able to have raised those boys and you have only to look upon my face to see the pride of the men they have become.

To those of you who have served or are serving, and for the moms of those who "gave their last full measure of devotion," I salute you on this Memorial Day, 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your story and thank you for all You have done. We are all better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brought a tear to my eye. You are a special force in their lives and in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your story. Thanks to your sons for all they do and thanks to you and Kim for
    giving such wonderful people to the world.
    Stacy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your kind words and thanks for taking the time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is powerful writing. I was able to relive Andrew and Joseph's lives through your words. You did a great job with your part in their raising.

    ReplyDelete